Sunday, May 16, 2010

Pondering Production-Feet First

Heather Ordover, of the podcast Craft Lit talks about learning to knit in one of her first "casts." She reminisces how she jumped in feet first, paying no heed to anyone who told her she couldn't, and as a consequence she found that she could.

Every time I tried a new project in McCall, ID under the supervision of Lynda my instructor extraordinaire, she'd say "pretend it's going to work until it does."

The Yarn Harlot says to "charge straight out and start a knitting project that you think is too hard for you. It's good for the human soul to accept a challenge, and you know what? It's going to be easier than you think. All knitting is only knit and purl, and I bet you know how to do both of those. "

It's true. I never learn very much when I don't challenge myself. I just have to keep remembering, to keep going, feet first, paying no heed to anyone who says I cant, pretending to work until it does, and accepting a good challenge.

Here we go!

Ps. There's a clause to this challenge put out by the Yarn Harlot: If you are a VERY new knitter, still finding your way around, read the descriptions of the patterns you are considering really carefully. If you see the words "intriguing construction," put it back down. If you see the word "heirloom," put it down and then run: It's code for "This pattern is so difficult that you will consider death a relief."

3 comments:

Grandma G said...

Fake it till you make it?

Maggie said...

Words to live by, not just to knit by, eh?

feresaknit said...

I just love the Yarn Harlot and knitting. Everything is just knit and purl until you're doing a lace that patterns on every row and you find you're one stitch out and you just can't figure out which stitch! ;D