Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My First Year

This last week wrapped up my first official year teaching. 

7th Grade Science. 

If you had asked me 4 years ago, I never would have guessed. If you had asked my science teachers they'd be asking you if there would be flying pigs too. 

I learned so much. 

I learned which classroom management techniques work for me in middle school. (And which ones don't.)

I leaned to choose my battles. 

I learned to expect more because then the teacher and students will achieve more even if it wasn't quite what was expected. 

I learned to selectively grade. Grading everything is crazy.

I learned how vital weekends are to rest and recover. While I still created quite a bit, the blogging just didn't happen. I wonder if I will ever find a balance for that or if I will forever moving between school mode and blog mode. 

I learned the power of collaboration and professional development. 

I learned to find out what my students are  good at and give them the chance to be the expert. 

I learned the power of telling students that I don't know....but I can find out. (I also learned just how many resources I have in my phone book.)

I learned about teaching 6 of the same class a day. It gets better every time. If it doesn't, something needs to change. 
 
Oh and did I mention how much science I learned? 

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Seriously. 

It was a great year. I look forward to next year and how it will all go with a year under my belt! As I wrapped up this year I couldn't help but start planning for next year!

1 comment:

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your mother would be so proud of you. I sure am!!!