Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pondering Production- Nervousness

"What we love to do we find time to do." -John L. Spalding
That my dear friends is why I quit my job. Juuuuuust kidding. (Sort of.)

Because I have quit my job, I have been put on a yarn/fabric/paper diet.

The Yarn Harlot explains it here:
"There exists, in the knitting world, a concept called 'the yarn diet.' It works the same way as a regular diet: You purchase no new yarn and use only what you have until you have 'lost' the predetermined number of yarn pounds from your stash. Sadly , the result of a yarn diet is often much the same as that of a regular diet: A person crazed with deprivation, guiltily packs on the cashmere in a yarn shop while nobody is looking."

This is why I have not yet set foot in a yarn store in Colorado. I went to a Farmers Market with Luke's family near Junction and packed on some hand shorn, hand carded, hand spun, hand dyed, 100% wool yarn. Ooops.

However knitting was once a suggested treatment for "mental disorders" in women as early as the 1800's and was one of the occupations recommended tio help women with "illnesses" like hysteria and nervousness.  (Yarn Harlot)

So MAYBE this is just what I needed after working at such a disfunctional place? Maybe this will help me with my hysteria and nervousness?

Alas, as so many before me have declared "I'm bored" staying at home, something you will never hear a crafter say is : "I'm bored. Can anyone think of something to do?"

Argh. It hurts my ears. That is one thing that pains me to hear coming from young people! They always look at me astonished when I start listing off all of the things that I want to be doing right then and there on top of what I'm already keeping busy with! Then I say: "Would you like ME to think of something FOR you?"
Then they scamper off all of a sudden "un-bored."

1 comment:

Grandma G said...

I definitely think you need help for your hysteria and nervousness! Tell Luke it's either some new yarn or a kitten! Either (actually, BOTH would be better) would be soft and cuddly and make you feel soooo much better! I'm sure if put to him that way, he'd be understanding and say "YES"!