Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pondering Production- Theatre

There is a superstition in the theater that it is bad luck for someone to knit in the wings during a play. I couldn't find anyone who could tell me why, but I did sort out that it's still OK to knit in the audience.
-Yarn Harlot

You know you knit too much when...
... you have projects identified by where you knit them. "Movie knitting," for example is a simple project (so you can work on it in the dark) done on wooden needles (so they are quiet) that are circular (because if you drop one of your DPNs in the theater it rolls to the front of the room...and that makes it hard to get back.) Makes total sense.
-Yarn Harlot

In the 1930s knitting was fashionable and trendy and even movie stars modeled for patterns. Maureen O'Sullivan, Olivia de Havilland and Bette Davis were all in Hollywood Knitting Book which featured the patterns for sweaters that had been worn in movies. Katharine Hepburn AND Joan Crawford knit. Not only was it the golden age of film, but one of the golden ages of knitting, when hand-knits were high fashion.

I am thankfull that the trendiness of knitting is rapidly coming back! A while back, when Luke and I were watching Eclipse in the theatre I spotted a fantastic hat on the character named Bella. I leaned over and asked: "How much you wanna bet that pattern is already on Ravelry?" 1.) I love that Luke understood the humor of that. 2.) It was/is on Ravelry and my cousin Tanya owned it already!

Thanks to the Internet knitting has become more accessible. Stitches can be learned by YouTube videos, and patterns can be found EVERYWHERE! All it takes is a little search on Ravelry (facebook for knitters) to find a felted yoda hat, World of Warcraft charts, and clothing items seen on characters in Harry Potter, Twilight and more!


However I agree with the Yarn Harlot and would "be willing to place a cash bet that most knitters watch fewer foreign films than the rest of the population. It's not that we are less interested -- it's the subtitles. It's very hard to read subtitles and chars at the same time. Knitters prefer dramas. More listening, less looking.

So then we turn to Audio Books and podcasts. There's a whole Harry Potter Knitting podcast?! Another one that mixes classic books with crafting!  Its win win and I love that it's carrying on an art!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Oooh...I'd love to check out the Harry Potter/Knitting podcast...what's it called?

JHNickodemus said...

Ah I cant remember. It was featured on Kyle's brother Bobby's podcast called Spellcast.