Monday, March 28, 2011

Moving Forward

Today I'm putting the binding on the pastel 1930s quilt. It was recommended I use a walking foot, (This has grabbers on the top AND the bottom to pull all the layers of the quilt forward together.) which meant the featherweight got benched and moms old Elna came out.


Getting this machine out felt significant to say the least. Mom taught me to sew on this machine. Lesson one, a zippered pouch. (Mom was fearless.) Project two, a butterfly costume, (Mom was hands off because it was for Oddesey of the Mind and I couldn't have grown up help. They disqualified us anyway because they thought there was no way I could have done it.) Project three, baby quilt for one of the "o's" I didn't understand why the "quilt in a weekend" took sooooo long.

2 comments:

girlyhurley said...

Happy binding! Very special your mom's machine is finishing a quilt that was also touched by her hands. Hugs!

L

Anonymous said...

I remember that OM event- was I the coach at that time? The judges just couldn't fathom the creative genious of you and all of the other tykes. Just goes to show you should never underestimate the potential of any human beings...especially children!
I have been so moved by reading your blogs and those of your mom and dad. I have been blessed beyond belief.
Sherri Johnson