Sunday, January 20, 2013

Freezer Food- One Potato, Two

Luke's new job encompasses food and beverage as well so his weird hours just got weirder. It's made life interesting when he comes home hungry at the crack of midnight. I've been working on coming up with some semi healthy, microwaveable midnight snacks or quick lunches.
One of the first I tried was twice baked potatoes.
I scooped the insides out and mashed them up with some ranch dip mix, milk and a dallop of sour cream. Then I gently stirred in some chopped up green onion.


Before scooping the mixture back into the potato skins I cooked some broccoli (al dente)


And put two or three in the bottom of the potato skin.


Then I scooped some of the mashed potato mixture on top.
Add a light sprinkle of cheese and green onions. Then I began to experiment. I baked half of them before freezing and then froze half to see if it made a difference when reheating them to eat later.


It didn't. So if your re-creating this, my suggestion is to freeze these goodie on a tray or plate


and then put them into ziplock baggies for more stackable storage. I do two at a time to help the consumers with portion control otherwise we'd eat them all in one go!
When you're ready to eat them, take them out, microwave in one minute increments til hot. (We got a weak microwave because I wanted to hide it in a cupboard, so ours takes about 3 min.)

I hope you enjoy as much as we do!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Tanya said...

ooooh...I'm going to come raid your freezer. These would be an awesome and mostly healthy(I'd probably put an unhealthy amount of cheese and sour cream on them) office lunch that is fast and tasty.