Monday, June 6, 2011

Dinamo Dilema

Last summer I kind if got on a dinosaur kick. Went to a dinosaur museum, made dinosaur hats and bought the most cutest dinosaur fabric!! Thing was... I didn't have a pattern in mind so I got some small amounts to do something with. I found this tutorial for rectangular zig zags and thinking they could be teeth or prehistoric grasses the pattern fit the bill. Thing was, once I'd used my fabric it still looked a little narrow. Sigh. So I made a strip of dinos from a big focus fabric (print too big for zigs or zags) I didn't buy enough for a whole border. Now that it's on, in not sure I'm digging it. I could use the big print on the back. Without the strip it's crib size. Is that too small?




All you non commenters out there, please please tell me what you think should be done with this from the perspective of kid, parent, quilter, opinionated spectator.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

9 comments:

Katie said...

I say use the big print on the back...I think it kind of detracts from your fantastic zigzags! I used to think that a crib size quilt was kind of a waste, but now that I have Henry, I really enjoy using small quilts with him. They are perfect for naps, books, and playmats, and are very easy to fold up. But, if you think crib size is too small, what about a solid color border around the edge? It could look nice, I think. Those are just my initial thoughts...I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be fantastic :)

Maggie said...

You're going to get TONS of ideas because there are lots of fun things you can do with this quilt. I like it bigger than crib size, I think a toddler through older boy would love a DINO quilt! How much of the print do you have? You could do another strip with the big print fabric across the bottom, making the zig zags off-center on purpose, then add borders to frame it. An orange inner border would be fun.

Jenny said...

I agree with Katie. I love your zig zags!

Tanya said...

I would take the print off and add a solid border to all 4 sides to make it a kid sized lap quilt. Tyler really enjoys a small blanket to use in the mornings with breakfast, but I'm not sure crib size would be large enough.

girlyhurley said...

I am not in love with the big print- use it on the back. I agree with making a solid border on all the sides to make it just a little bigger. Oh so useful for young kids.

Love the zig zags!

The Luedtke Family said...

Is it big enough to fold in half for a pillow case? The big border could work as a "cuff"?

Anonymous said...

I am a baby blanket expert and since I'm also the only person you have to give this blankie to I think you should use the big dinos on the front but on two sides. Can you piece the back to get enough??? Valpal

Nadia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jon and Jolie said...

I LOVE your zig zags!!!!!!! Crib sized quilts are perfect sized for kids. . . they love them!